When I was a new stay at home mother, I developed an awful habit. When my husband returned home from work each day, I would devour him with words of exhaustion, excitement, confusion, or whatever else was pent up within me from the day. He is a patient man and never complained. One day, I read a suggestion to warmly welcome my husband home. I tried it and WE liked it!
Now our children are expected to warmly welcome their father home. It is sweet to watch them jump off a bike, put down a basketball, or close a book to make dad their priority. This habit also spills over into warmly welcoming others to our home.
On difficult days, I still struggle. I work to force a smile or bite my tongue. I'm humbled that this simple kindness can still take all my will. Fortunately Mother Teresa reminds me, “God does not call us to do great things, but small things with great love.”
Big and little ways our family builds unity, avoids or tackles common family challenges, and befriends uncertainty through trust in God and family. Family glue options and opportunities are everywhere! Look for, prioritize, foster, value, initiate, maximize, support, encourage, trust, and enjoy family glue as a means to love God and others wholeheartedly.

