Big and little ways our family builds unity, avoids or tackles common family challenges, and befriends uncertainty through trust in God and family. Family glue options and opportunities are everywhere! Look for, prioritize, foster, value, initiate, maximize, support, encourage, trust, and enjoy family glue as a means to love God and others wholeheartedly.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Prayer Pegs

When I took my first tentative steps back toward Catholicism, the first prayer that we prayed together as a family was Grace before meals.
Bless us, O Lord and these Thy gifts,
Which we are about to receive,
From Thy bounty through Christ Our Lord.
Amen.
This simple prayer opened the floodgate of Grace through which the Holy Spirit helped guide us home.

Once this habit was developed, I had become increasingly interested in the many beautiful Catholic prayers that I hadn't learned as a child. Our family began memorizing prayers and connecting them to family activities. One of the simplest prayer pegs is to "stack" our prayers at meals. For example, currently at breakfast we say Grace plus the Spiritual Adoption prayer, and a prayer for the souls in purgatory.

More prayer pegs to come...