Big and little ways our family builds unity, avoids or tackles common family challenges, and befriends uncertainty through trust in God and family. Family glue options and opportunities are everywhere! Look for, prioritize, foster, value, initiate, maximize, support, encourage, trust, and enjoy family glue as a means to love God and others wholeheartedly.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Cushioned Routine

Before I wrote about pinpointing my difficulty with handling exceptions to my routine, I looked carefully at my routine and found it to be "good enough." I gauge my routine by simple standards.

Does it reflect our goals, both short-term and long-term? As a Catholic family, our ultimate goal is clear; our eyes are fixed on heaven. All of our little goals need to point us there. Our routine needs to point us there. For us, it needs to be structured enough to encourage our highest values and priorities and it needs to be flexible enough to handle God's surprises and tests.
Does it reflect our values and priorities? Fortunately, our values and priorities have remained steady for years. We teased them out over several years before we returned to the Faith then refined, and continue to refine, them within the Faith. Here is how I wrote about our priorities in 2006 and later that year.

Is it proportionate? This is often where our family needs to make adjustments. As a home educating family, there is always the temptation to make home educating more than it needs to be. The perfect math program? Doesn't exist, although Math-U-See is good enough. The perfect Advent preparation? Doesn't happen, although tried and true traditions help. The perfect craft? Now THAT would be a miracle in this house! Field trips galore? Once a month, or less, is doable. Child doesn't "get it?" Time is on our side. Spiritual experiences? Over-rated, we just need to stick with the Little Way. We know we need to keep it simple. Master skills, such as math, playing music, and foreign language, through regular practice. Build broad knowledge through story, discussion, and experience. Read books. Listen to music. Play CDs while driving. Go outside and pay attention to nature.

Is it clearly communicated? It needs to be written down, continually updated, and placed in an accessible place for reference.

Is it flexible and does it provide an ample cushion to absorb the unexpected and unplanned? For example, my waking time is between 6:00 and 8:00 a.m., depending on if I slept well the night before. If I'm up all night with a vomiting child, then I can rise at 8:00 a.m. and not panic that I didn't rise at 6:00 and lost two productive hours. We have "quiet alone" time most afternoons from ~2:00 - 4:00. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings have no ongoing commitments. Sundays are for rest, Mass, and enjoyable family time. These times can be used to absorb the unexpected yet we need to take care not to choose to put too much into these times.

Here's our current schedule: